Last month I hosted a dinner party for my dearest girlfriends. One of the most popular recipes from the night was my simple sweet potato soup. I love this soup because it is creamy without any dairy, and the sweet potatoes are extra delicious and nutritious right now because they’re in season. This soup is rich enough that you could eat it on its own for a light dinner. It’s also vegan, vegetarian, paleo, gluten-free and has no added sugar. Delicious and good for you? That’s a win win! Stay tuned for more of my favorite recipes in my upcoming ebook, Loving Your Leftovers!
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tbs coconut oil
4 medium sized sweet potatoes, roasted or baked (about 4 cups)
¾ tsp ginger, minced (about half of a thumb in length)
½ tsp garam masala spice mix
1 cup light coconut milk
2 cups water
- Heat oil in pot. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add minced ginger and cook additional 2 minutes
- Rough chop the sweet potatoes (you can leave the skin on) and add to the onion and ginger. Save time by baking a bunch of sweet potatoes in the beginning of the week and using them for different meals. You can also store them in the freezer.
- Add the coconut milk, water and garam masala*. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat.
- Cook for ten minutes on medium low heat.
- Blend the soup and adjust seasoning.
*garam masala is an Indian spice mix and happens to be one of my favorites. It usually has a mix of black pepper, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and clove. Every mix of garam masala is different, which makes it kinda exciting! Feel free to omit if you can’t find it, or just add a spice you like.